Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday 28 April

It's not even Friday the 13th and I'm writing a blog. I'm doing it without a hint of anonymity, which seems pretty daft, but then, what's the point of people not knowing the id of the writer? I also wonder who's going to read it! I've no doubt there will be more than a little moaning going on here, as that's the person I am -- always aware of failings all around me. However, I am setting myself the challenge of finding at least one postive comment per posting.

I live in a 'village' called Chapelizod, which is now at the western-most point of the city of Dublin in the Republic of Ireland (it's never moved, but I imagine the city limits have). Like much of Ireland it doesn't really do much for the eye in terms of architecture. Cromwell, famine, the ludicrous lack of interest in heritage and attractive architecture of governents in the post-war years make the local environment pretty drab in terms of the buildings. Even so, the village 'square' is pleasant, and there is the vast expanse of Phoenix Part behind it; we should also mention the Liffey, which flows through the middle dividing the village into an old part (north) and a new part (south).

Yesterday I learnt that a local resident has been given full planning permission to construct a private car park on the banks of the Liffey next to his house. The fact that the bank and its pretend stone wall are an attractive feature of the south side of the village doesn't seem to deter the planning department of Dublin City Council. Still --positive point coming up -- they've done worse: a historic house with assocations with the Battle of the Boyne (the King's House) stood in Chapelizod until fairly recently: somebody gave permission for the destruction of this structure.

I lecture in music at Trinity College Dublin. So expect lots on music, lots on Ireland, plenty on America (I'm a recent convert but despise Bush and the religious fundamentalists), and numerous other nuggets of wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home