Wednesday, May 17, 2006

back in the USA

How nice it is to be back in Wilmington, DE! I'm only here for a few days this time, and the weather is almost Irish in its variability, but even so, it's good to be here. A few things have changed a bit.

I was all set to complain about unfriendly and aggressive Homeland Security immigration officials, but since we do all the security stuff at Dublin airport and the guy who processed me charmed the pants off me, I think I'll pass on this one. It was all very pleasant and easy, even if it sometimes seems a bit over the top.

The nation's great leader was on the box the other evening talking about invading Mexico, I think. The best way to deal with all these illegals is to intercept them at source, so pre-emptive strikes against towns and villages harbouring pockets of cheap labour, or should I say threats to the nation's security, can be neutralised before they set foot here. In truth though, I can't see how any country can tolerate such a porous boarder.

Petrol has now topped $3 a gallon (little gallons, it has to be said, not the mighty quantities we used to buy in Britain and Ireland). It seems that the Toyota Yaris will soon be strutting its diminutive stuff here and apparently the VW Golf can sometimes be seen. Even so, in the great malls in Center City, Philadelphia, they're still promoting big gas guzzlers, and looking at the roads generally, the SUVs, large saloons, and pickups seem to dominate. The golden egg, of course, goes to the company that patents the most effective alternative to the petrol engine and manages to get it out on the road out Toyota'ing Toyota. The rewards must surely be vast.

Philly is as pleasant a city as ever, though sadly Wanamakers, lately Lord and Taylor, is now empty, awaiting its new owner, so I wasn't able to hear or see the magnificent organ. Apparently it'll be back in action soon.

Washington DC today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home