Wednesday, June 21, 2006

doughnut malaise


When I arrived in Delaware, Krispy Kreme products were securely available on Concorde Pike, Wilmington. Acme also sold them, so I could enjoy these excellent pastries with their slightly crispy exterior and delicious fillings and coatings. The best doughnuts I've ever eaten were made fresh, on premises, near the Westgate Centre in Oxford (England). They came in just two flavours, namely jam filled and apple with cream (if there was another, I've forgotten it). Weekly trips to the public library at the Westgate acquired additional momentum thanks to this noble manifestation of the baker's art. I gather these doughnuts have long since vanished from Oxford. Now Concorde Pike has failed me, for Krispy Kreme has gone, suffering apparently from losses and all sorts of other problems. I now have to travel 68 miles to find a store. So for the regular doughnut there's not much choice: Dunkin' it is. Dunkin' Donuts opened in Ireland several years ago and, believe it or not, failed. I suspect Dubliners found the doughnuts too bland. Whatever the reason, I'm not happy with this new monoculture prevailing in Delaware. I want choice. These monocultures seem to be a serious problem in a culture that favours the big corporation. If America's not careful it could end up like the Soviet Union where there was presumably a state doughnut -- take it or leave it. Well, I'd sooner leave Dunkin'. I want Krispy Kreme back, please. Don't make me beg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home