Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Back in Ireland


I'm just back from a week in Delaware showing my mother some of the sites, not least DC, NYC and Philly. Arriving back was hardly pleasant. The weather in Dublin was diabolical. The M50, the city's two-lane orbital motorway, was backed up for miles, and I just felt a sinking feeling the closer I got to home. Of course, arriving at the old homestead is always nice, and it's lovely to catch up with our family of five cats, but how I miss that American courtesy and respect. On the shuttle bus to the car park two successive (Irish) women obliged me by resting their bags on my foot, and one looked at me as if I was evidence of open sewerage when I remonstrated with her. I know this sort of thing can happen everywhere, but there is a difference in tone between Ireland and America, which almost consistently favours America. Beam me back, please!
(image from bbc.co.uk)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home