Monday, May 08, 2006

some people are revolting

So I sit on the bus home and a man comes and sits next to me. I can live with that, I suppose, though I really think that double seats should really be just for me. He first begins to try my charity by munching loudly through a vast packet of crisps, intermittently smacking his lips and licking his fingers with such relish that I begin to realise that even a packet this size has its limitations. After finishing his pre-dinner 'snack', he starts reading the Daily Mail. Only readers on this side (the Irish side) of the Atlantic will realise how offensive this act was, for the Mail is a very right wing chronicle, which has just produced an Irish edition, as if the Irish weren't right wing enough (it's a British organ). By 'right wing' I mean as in Margaret Thatcher, not Adolf Hitler or some Republicans. He rested part of the paper in my lap, which was nice of him. Audibly not in the best of health he aggressively blew his nose and then -- this is the bit that stays with me -- opened up his tissue to review the success of his evacuation. Finally, when I asked him to remove his repulsive personage temporarily from the seat so I could, with no little relief, get to the exit, he looked at me as if I'd asked him to donate a kidney. (Usually in Ireland one just gets up and expects an instantaneous response from the person in the way, but I haven't been fully assimilated yet.) This man, the word 'creature' seems more appropriate, was very revolting indeed. Why can't they wear some sort of identification so that they can be kept in a hold or thrown in the back of lorries bound in the same direction instead of placed in seats next to me? It's wrong.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny - am still giggling. Keep it up!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home