Thursday, August 14, 2008

health hazards at Spinelli's Coffee House, Kemp Town, Brighton

I was in the basement of the Spinelli Coffee House in Kemp Town, Brighton, UK, enjoying good coffee and an almond croissant when an employee came over, kneeled beside me, and started spraying a large plant right behind me. I was incredulous and didn't say anything. I really wish I had, but I was so shocked I was lost for words. He wasn't using water as there was a chemical smell. He sprayed for a long time and then left without acknowledging my presence at all. I felt unwell and moved to a different seat. I'm still feeling unwell. Can you believe it?

If this is the way they treat customers I wonder if their coffee's safe. The worst thing is that in every other way it's a nice cafe, but who on earth would go back after being treated like this?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry that you were feeling unwell after a member of staff watered the plants. I can assure you that we water our plants with water - No plant food, no chemicals, just plain H20. The only other chemicals we use are washing up liquid, window cleaner and anti bacterial spray. All products are clearly marked and are dispensed from their original container. Our water is stored in a large, orange spray bottle and would not be easily confused with any of the above mentioned products.

I wish you would have voiced your concerns to me directly, as this matter could have been easily resolved.

Regards

Carlo Torre
Managing Director
Spinelli Coffee

4:45 AM  
Blogger Simon Trezise said...

I smelt a chemical and felt unwell for a while afterwards. He wasn't exactly watering the plants, he was spraying them (I felt the spray!). The fact that one of your staff -- or you -- were prepared to do this just a metre or so from a customer speaks poorly of your coffee house. The person doing the watering could at the very least have acknowledged my presence. As I say in my blog, I was so shocked I didn't voice my concerns. Even if I had, I don't quite see what difference it would have made: the damage was done.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home