Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Feuding footballers and fisticuffs

Without wishing to sound prissy, I wonder if we really have to look for excuses for the likes of Rooney and Zidane. Doubtless they were wound up, but so what? If they learnt a bit of self-discipline they would know how to walk away when an opponent is being verbally offensive. Stamping on a player's balls and head butting another don't really sound to me like things we want to see in sporting events. There's a bit too much of the school playground in this for my taste. Perhaps I also show my age a little when I say that I can't imagine the 1966 World Cup was played with so much shoddy behaviour on the pitch. The French were wrong to attempt to vindicate their sporting hero on his return home. Ideally we should see long exclusions for players who cannot control their aggression. That or teach them meditation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home